Wednesday 17 February 2010

Gotta love the packaging



Tonight I was treated to my partner not only cooking dinner but also picking up a few things for dessert. This included a honeydew melon. Most of my North American and Australian readers will wonder "what's the big deal?" Well, it is a big deal when your melon comes wrapped completely in cellophane, tissue paper and a big pink bow on top. Even the stem was wrapped in green tape (see pic above, no words can possibly do it justice).

I have also experienced takeout being delivered in a gift bag, individually wrapped bananas and brownies boxed in tissue and ribbon. Don't get me started on what jewellery comes in or what they do when you actually ask for something to be gift wrapped!

After reading this post, you may conclude that Korea is a wasteful society with over packaging, however I try to look at it in another way. Koreans are always putting a lot of care into their packaging, as well as making everything special and beautiful. I seem to have a constant struggle between feeling guilty about all the plastic being used and the warm fuzzy feeling I get when an everyday item is wrapped up like a present.

No comments:

Post a Comment